Home Contact About me We believe Photography Stitch Bake

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

One Thousand Paper Cranes

Japan.

Watching the unbelievable tsunami videos day after day is breaking my heart.

Seeing the ruins of the tsunami's wake is unbelievable.

I feel so fortunate to be where I am, safe with food and shelter.

I am reminded of the story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes.


Sadako was a little Japanese girl who was affected by the radiation from the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima. Before she died, she was determined to make 1,000 paper cranes so that she might live longer. When she died, she had only made 644, so her friends completed them and buried her with all of her paper cranes. Her story has become a worldwide symbol of the effects that nuclear war can bring.

An ancient Japanese legend says that by folding one thousand origami paper cranes, the folder will receive one wish from a real crane.

Some Japanese people fold paper cranes and leave them in their temples, letting the elements "release" the wish. They are like the prayer flags you would find in India or Tibet.

I want to make a thousand paper cranes for Japan.

(I used to fold hundreds of paper cranes as a little girl myself)

Along with those paper cranes, I want to send food, supplies, and love.

The only problem is - I don't know how to get my paper cranes and support to Japan.

It's a small snag in my plan.

So, if you or anyone you know might have an idea of how to go about doing this, please let me know.


1 comment:

  1. The Church has some sort of distaster help branch or charity...umm this isn't very helpful bc I can't remember what it's called at the moment...but I will look and see if I can find it. I know they have been key help in a number of disasters in the past years. I'll get back to you on it.

    ReplyDelete