Home Contact About me We believe Photography Stitch Bake

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pumpkin Streusel Bread

We woke up to snow this morning!

It was a measly half inch or so. It lightly frosted our grass but melted before I was done baking.

This means it's almost time to plant bulbs!

Before starting this recipe, make sure you have 2+ loaf pans.


Pumpkin Streusel Bread
(adapted from this recipe)

Ingredients:
3 1/2 c bread flour (or AP flour, I'm just a bread flour snob)
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground nutmeg
1 t ground ginger
1 t ground cloves
1/2 c oil
1/2 c apple sauce (I didn't have any, so I substituted 1/4 c apple juice)
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
4 eggs
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin
2/3 c water (I left this out since I used apple juice instead of apple sauce)

Streusel:
1 c brown sugar
1 c flour
1/2 c melted butter
3 t cinnamon
1/2 c whatever nuts you like to use (except your nutty next door neighbors)

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl (not stand mixer) mix together all dry ingredients. Set aside. In stand mixer or separate mixing bowl, combine oil, apple sauce, sugars, and eggs. Stir in pumpkin. Stir in half of flour mixture into pumpkin mix until combined. Then add other half of flour mixture. Divide batter between loaf pans.

Mix dry streusel ingredients in separate bowl. Drizzle in melted butter and stir until it looks like wet sand. Divide evenly on top of loaf pans.

Bake @ 350° for 25 minutes, rotate pans, then bake for another 25 minutes.

So the person who I got the recipe from used six small loaf pans. I used two large ones. I think this affected the streusel texture severely. Mine was really crunchy and I ended up scraping part of it off every slice that I ate. I think maybe next time, I'll add the streusel halfway through baking the loaves or possibly add another two tablespoons of butter. Or maybe I'll just have to go buy six small ceramic loaf pans. Either way, this bread was delicious and I ate half a loaf by myself. Say what!?

Also, I swear pregnancy has addled my brain.

I accidentally left one loaf in the oven while I ran to the store to buy my poor sick husband some medicine. I came home to a snoring husband and a smoky kitchen. Sigh.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment