Home Contact About me We believe Photography Stitch Bake

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

love her mother



Before Lily was born, I thought Paul was pretty great. 

Then he became a father

...and I fell even harder for him. 

About fifteen minutes after Lily was born, all of the doctors and nurses left our hospital room. Finding ourselves a family of three for the first time, I held Lily to my chest and Paul offered a prayer of gratitude to our Heavenly Father for this wonderful blessing of a healthy child. It was such a poignant and moving moment that we were both crying tears of joy. It was a moment that I want to remember forever.

Paul has taken to fatherhood better than I could have ever imagined. He grew up with four brothers, and when I found out that we were having a baby girl, I worried that he wouldn't know quite how to handle all of the X chromosomes around our house. About a week after finding out that Lily was a little girl, we watched our church's bi-annual General Conference (the same one in which we found her name) and heard this wonderful talk about raising daughters by loving their mother.

“The most important thing a father can do for his [daughter] is to love [her] mother.”1 By the way you love her mother, you will teach your daughter about tenderness, loyalty, respect, compassion, and devotion. She will learn from your example what to expect from young men and what qualities to seek in a future spouse. You can show your daughter by the way you love and honor your wife that she should never settle for less. Your example will teach your daughter to value womanhood. You are showing her that she is a daughter of our Heavenly Father, who loves her."

Paul has risen to the occasion and then some. I have confidence that our little girl will grow up to be a kind and loving person if she follows the example her father sets in his love for me. To be loved by such a man is a privilege. My heart goes out to those unfortunate mothers who do not have their child's father in their lives. I have watched my own single mother and I know it is no easy task to parent alone.

Watching Paul give Lily eskimo kisses melts me every time. He dances her around the living room and makes up silly songs to her. It's probably the sweetest thing ever.

I love my Paul.


No comments:

Post a Comment