Home Contact About me We believe Photography Stitch Bake

Thursday, February 16, 2012

letters to baby - a name

Dear Lily,

Tomorrow morning we get to take you home! Right now I am reclining in bed while you snuggle with your cheek against your father's chest.  The lights in the room are low and we're playing your favorite piano and violin music that you used to kick to while in my belly. We're both still in awe that you belong to us; you radiate sweetness. 

The point of this letter to you, our baby, is to explain your name. As I write this, a song that is so dear to me just began playing next to you and your eyes opened wide. You must've heard it a thousand times inside of me, so it's really no surprise.

While listening to October 2011 General Conference, your dad and I were frustrated with each other that we couldn't agree on a single name for you. We should have known then that you were no ordinary baby. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang "Consider the Lilies" that Sunday morning. Your father turned to me during this song and said, "what about naming her Lily?" While listening to the words, I knew that Lily was meant to be your name. 



Your father and I chose this name for you in hopes that someday when you face trials in your life that you will turn to your Heavenly Father and always remember to "consider the lilies". My favorite stanza of this song is:

"Consider the sheep of His fold,
How they follow where He leads,
Though the path may wind across mountains,
He knows the meadows where they feed"

I find this to be so poignantly comforting; you will face trials in your life, but your Heavenly Father knows you, loves you, and will always lead you in the right direction. You are such an exceptional child and your father and I love you more than you will ever know. We may not always be around in person to comfort or assist you, but your Heavenly Father always will be as long as you need Him. Whatever you make of this life, please never forget this. There is peace in my heart knowing that He will always look out for you and that we are together for eternity. 

You're crying for me to feed you (such a good little eater you are) so I must end this letter. We love you, sweet baby Lily. 

Love,
your mother

No comments:

Post a Comment